Transition to School
When your child is ready (around 4), he/she will be invited to our Extension Class which focuses on enhancing their numeracy and literacy skills and social competence in preparation for school.
The Extension Class Program is developed in close collaboration with local primary schools. For Lighthouse Howick the schools include Owairoa Primary, Bucklands Beach Primary and Macleans Primary. For Lighthouse Albany, the schools include Albany Primary, Pinehill School, Mairangi Bany Primary, Sunny Nook Primary, Pinehurst and Kristin.
This ensures your child has a flying start into the formal schooling environment. It includes but is not limited to the following:
- Concentrated time of extended learning each day with 1 dedicated teacher
- Self-care skills at lunch time
- Correct pencil grip and sitting posture
- Correct alphabet writing; name and emergent words writing
- Beginner reading, storytelling and short story writing
- Phonetics and sounds of the letters
- Number recognition, mathematics
- Group discussion and project work that introduces them to researching, team work and leadership etc.
Parents will be given detailed information when their child joins the Extension Class and are expected to play an active part during this education process.